Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why the Clinton era needs to be over...

From TPM's Greg Sargent
But here's the real point: When it comes to the Clintons, many pundits have simply stopped requiring themselves to adhere to the most basic evidentiary standards. It has become acceptable, even normal, to say whatever the hell you want about the Clintons, and if you insist on anything approaching real evidence, you're just a party-pooper. The "Clinton rules" governing punditry about them are that there are no rules.
his point is that the Clinton's aren't getting a fair shake. And I agree. I don't have time to dig in... but on an issue by issue frame of Clinton vs. Obama many say Clinton is more progressive, liberal... and well gosh wise. That Obama is the "feel good" candidate for a bunch of kids and middle of the road people who know nothing about politics or what it takes to make things happen. And to that too I agree. Would Clinton make a better President? Possibly.

But like Pyschoanalyist DW Winnicot talked about being and having the "good enough mother" I think its a case of Obama being the "good enough candidate" for my policy diferences I can say I'd much rather have Obama than another Republican. And some are saying Obama is just plain old fashion beating the Clintons at their own game: winning
The Big League...
As I said, it's only the fact that Barack Obama is a superb candidate running a superb campaign that is keeping Hillary Rodham Clinton's good campaign from being good enough...
True as it may be the important thing is Clinton and the Clintons as an entity aren't given a fair shake by even Democrats at this point. The Conservative media machine of think tanks and radio hosts bombarding middle america with hobgolins and hit pieces has made it so.

Is it fair... no. Its is creating a situation where a Clinton victory is impossible... no. Do I feel the need to beat Republicans with what they hate most... inspiring conservatives to vote in local elections in droves even if they don't like McCain and then having Conservatives do everything in their power to spend the next 4 years blocking everything the President does cause their name is Clinton... no thank you.

Lets win in Nov and use some of the resources and fight we'd need to get Clinton elected and put it towards organizing for the toughest day in politics: the day after you win and actually have to start implementing the policy you advocated.

Health Care coverage... now thats gonnna be a fight!

I'm not on an ego trip to beat Conservatives so that I can feel better--which I sometimes feel some Clinton supporters are wanting. I want health care for my next door neighbor... I want books for our schools... I want good enough policy (if not always the best). I want middle America to be able to hear what the Democratic Party is saying again. I understand the frustration from some insiders and polico's they were in the midst of the 90's taking the brunt of Conservative politic attacks. And they did an amazing job of holding things together when you start digging around the history of Conservative efforts...

But Obama gives us a chance--a chance to talk about issues. The Clinton era needs to be over. If Obama is another Jimmy Carter it'll be as much our fault(I'm saying this to fellow active Democrats) than to Obama or his band of inspired supporters.

But ladies and gentlemen: we have inspired supporters again and a chance to make it about issues again! Knowing conservatives it won't last long... lets not waste it.

As an Edwards supporter I am actually proud to say "Obama 2008!" and you know what? I mean it too!

No comments: