Saturday, February 2, 2008

Chambliss... "We're a strong Military State..."

Isakson and Chambliss endorse McCain. But this quote gives me the willies...
“We’re a strong military state and we need a strong commander in chief,”
We're a strong military state? I can handle being a Republic with a strong military. I can deal with a Democracy with a strong military. But a Military state? To me thats a bad choice of words because I can't follow his principles... it leaves open the possiblity that one of our Senators supports a Military State. I don't believe thats what he meant. But still its a shockingly poor use of language. In a moment when our government currently supports policies considered torture by human rights organizations and does not shirk away from questionable dealings with other countries I am sensitive to how leaders in our State frame our role in the world. Anything with authroitarian leanings or frame-works that leave such roles open to discussion are bad juju in my book and speak of it because I feel conservatives are far too often inviting to frames and language used that can be seen as tolerant of authoritarianism. I'm not saying they are... it just can be precieved that way.

Thats just me...

No comments: