Monday, September 28, 2009

9.28.09

I made a list last night. Because discipline I lack. Sigh. I wonder what I was thinking back years ago when I was reading Henry Miller and I thought it'd be so great to be a writer. Does a kid at 14 actually understand Henry Miller. Should a kid at 14 understand Henry Miller. Why are my questions ending in a period. Did it again--sigh...

I keep thinking about my place within a lineage of people. I sometimes think about the fact that I'm here because all of my ancestors survived long enough to reproduce. That's strange. And its a very very long time. That kind of historical span is like reflecting on space--as Douglas Adams said, its big, unimaginably big.

Here I am. Speck O dust. Well a compound of proteins, water, errr other things too--atoms and void and Epicurus would say.

One of these days all of this--the world, as in Wittgensteins "my world"--will make sense. Or maybe it won't. But maybe just maybe right before I die, I'll chuckle and go, "oh, I get it now."

I'm going to work now... [actually i'm going to go put on my boots...]

--------------
Jim Nichols
Under the Name of Reason
www.JimNichols4.com

No comments: