Wednesday, April 30, 2008

seems to be useful for others academics as well.... (turned into a blogging ethics post)

Collected Advice for the Young Economists

update: I just wondered to myself if I need to hat-tip to the big boys... every time I pick up a good link from a Dean Baker or Brad Delong do I need to tell you? I tend to link/quote from their site... but everyonce in a while I get sent to another site (3rd site) and you don't know how I found it.

In this situation it came from Delong. Is hat-tip needed in inverse outsourcing? If I did would my readers stay away from my blog once they learn they can go to the direct source. Is this like illegal copies of a movie or new cd?

I want people to use my blog as a tool to save them time. If I hat tip to the bloggers that I use and learn from. I might lose what little audience I have. Do market principles say I don't need to hat-tip? I'm not claiming I wrote it... and if asked I'd tell you where I found--academic and intellectual honesty is not what I'm about.

But I don't know...

Any thoughts???

3 comments:

Nick said...

Wow, this is an exact issue I've been mulling over the past 2-3 weeks.

Here's where I am on it: I'm providing fewer and fewer credits - just giving the principal link. The source, which IMO used to be primary in the blogosphere when it was a lot smaller, is now secondary. Just get to the point.

I still feel somewhat uncomfortable at times, so i've not completely resolved this. But the expediency - and the holding of focus - by just making the link and not letting credits get in the way has benefits.

Nick said...

Not everybody agrees with that approach. Jeneane Sessom (of Atlanta, by the way) had a screed about this point several years ago. I can't find it now.

1ma2t said...

I send out an email listing to many recipients each morning. I use the best op-ed pieces and writers from the NY Times, LA Times, and Washington Post, and occasionally some great news articles. I do a cut and paste job. I cut the entire article or column, including the lead in, the author, and the ending. I send it out in the subject line as "from today's NY Times, etc, and if the writer is someone of note, I include his or her names (Paul Krugman or Maureen Dowd of the NY Times - for example). I make sure that each reader knows who wrote it and from what publication it is from. I do this service each day for those who would not otherwise read them. It works, and I take no credit for content, only the satisfaction that this evokes interest and discussion afterward.

Juan Matute