Monday, July 30, 2007

Old but still reads true...

Boston Globe has an article on impeachment Its from June but it articulates a position I find dead on accurate. If you want to help every day peoples lives more than you want to make petty political points you don't (in my eyes at least) support open movement towards impeachment. I'd love to see Bush impeached. But I have to step outside of my head and my petty psychological passion and consider the fact that this upcoming election is the Democrats to lose. Impeachment throws everything up in the air, granted it might still turn out in the Democrats favor. But why take a chance, I'd rather see a potential to get some kind of health care reform, and a sane Iraqi policy. I have the utmost respect for many people trying to make impeachment happen. In a perfect world I'd be all on board. But here on the ground, in GA's 3rd district I don't see impeachment doing any good for anyone. I talk to conservatives and republicans every day and impeachment would fire them up about something. You can't bring new ideas or arguments to people who have their passions inflamed to hate you.

Plus it makes me think of the economist who wants to make economics a purely mathematical question and uses great reason and logic to explain why and how the models make sense; and what they miss in all of their accurate number crunching is that economics is a behavioral science from the ground up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lack of support for impeachment says what to the rest of the world? That Bush's actions are within the realm of okay? I want the rest of the world to believe that the citizens of my nation to remove the current occupant of the White House. Not only that, I want my fellow / sister citizens to actively want and work toward removal of the current occupant of the White House.

The Democrats are and have been a lost cause for quite some time. About a year ago, Conyers said the reason he wasn't supporting impeachment was that the citizens weren't actively calling for it. Monday a week ago, about 400-500 citizens showed up in the halls of Congress at Conyers' door actively calling for impeachment 40 or so made it into Conyers' office. Guess what he did: he had them arrested.

The biggest problem is that impeachment will not solve the problems of our nation.

Just like a real investigation into the events of September eleventh, 2001 won't solve the problems of our nation.

To solve the problems of our nation, you have to address the problems head on. The problems are simple things like, corporate America rules the world, polluters are allowed to proceed with impugnity, every person wants clean air and clean water for themself, every person wants shelter, productive purpose for themself. How do we rebuild an infrastructure that has been gutted by corporate greed? How do we retake our commons across our nation?

Jim Nichols said...

The biggest problem is that impeachment will not solve the problems of our nation. Thats the most important point. In my eyes, one might as well scrap the impeachment... and move on to building an educated and informed public that wouldn't accept these kinds of behaviors. Right now we have a very untutored public with woefully underdeveloped analyitic skills. There is a lot of work to be done just to bring the demorcatic process up to par!