Thursday, November 8, 2007

When are humans going to catch up to technology

I sometimes get the feeling my Dad and I are trying to do the same thing in different forums. He's working the energy market in the Philippines, i'm working the political scene and social justice movement in Georgia.

I just titled this post... When are people going to catch up to technology. But then I rewrote it. When are humans... human beings. The people that care, feel, hurt, and love. People... randomized automatons. They already plug into tv, vapid consumerism, and such. They are already on board with technology, but like technology they don't care...

I'm weary of leaning on carelessness as a solution. Vain narcissistic randomness and careless revelry is not going to fix anything, only be a release. My dad works in the energy Field. His business, is something I know next to nothing about. But he's in it for the right reasons. He wants markets to work FOR people, not just blind profit. Blind profit hurts human beings. He wants to use technology to make his little detailed sector of expertise work for humans.

I want to use technology to make my little sector of expertise policy wonkishness and political theory work for humans.

We're both trying hard to use technology to help. I struggle to make it work. I think he goes through the same struggles. I look to his recent post Journalist Interviews and Blogs and think if we keep at this it might just work!

We might just be the generation that helps human beings use technology. Not to eradicate cultures, bomb a city, or suck another dollar out of labor. But break free information, giving the informed and wise a way to network, communicate, and the tools to make those ventures beneficial to everyone in society.

I think my Dad may take it too far...
I may begin declining phone interviews much more frequently. I prefer to be in the open, on the record, and unfiltered - although I realize there will be need for exceptions at times. The on-line conversations are much more robust.
Technology, is a tool for humans. And human beings deal in and thrive off of personal relationships. Insider games, and elitism, are the things that are eradicated by the openness of the internet. But that doesn't replace personal relationships. Relationships with neighbors, economists, reporters. Whatever your goal is, people are that which stands in your way. The questions is how to make people humans. And you do that by talking, listening, and having a cup of coffee. Blog posts, online comments, social networks. For all of their perks, will never sit across from another person, look them in the eye and say "yeah, I give a shit too....."

Highly complex society's suck the life out of humans. They lose attachment to what counts. THe soul I guess is what poets would call it. And you don't relate to people, teach people, lead people.... if you negate that which we are trying to save. At least we that get it. And know they may be few and far between. But many times I think thats an illusion too... But forget that for a moment. How does one live? Together or alone?

I vote for together.

update with a quote from "No Paradise" by Anti-Flag that I was listening to as I wrote without realizing it speaks to what i'm talking about....


We want the truth
It isn't going to be no paradise
Forget the claims
Oh no
We need to take the world back now
We need to take control right now

Promises of a better tomorrow
Promises bought on borrowed dollars
No disaster ever looked so great
So while I say
As old men delivered that league of terror; war
We ask ourselves what are we dying for?

So all the kids are sick and tired of the news today
Sick and tired of all your lies
We want the truth
It isn't going to be no paradise
Forget the claims
Oh no
We need to take the world back now
We need to take control right now


There is some blue haired 15 teen year old singing those words today. But there is also a political activist in his late 20's and a energy consultant in the Philippines living those same words today as well.

No comments: