Saturday, November 28, 2009

The middle class--whats that?

Someone noted my Teamster sweatshirt--and I laughed, "yeah its my ticket to the middle class."  He laughed and said, "yeah, whats that?  I'm not sure it exisits any more."

The decline of the American worker is no laughing matter--and it reminded me why one of the things I was most thankful for this past thanksgiving was my union.  I had a conversation on Thursday that reminded me how working families are struggling--and have been for a long time--and why I am so lucky to be a union member.

As research shows for the typical U.S. worker (in the middle of the national pay scale) unionization raises wages about 14%.

For low-wage workers, unionization raises wages even more – about 21%.  For more on economic impacts or unions you can check out the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

Being in a union has given my wife opportunity and quality of life--not to mention a ticket into the middle class that we wouldn't have had without it. 

It was one thing I was thankful for this Thanksgiving!

Posted via web from Jim Nichols for GA State House

No comments: